Saturday, December 10, 2016

Word Salad

Hello all you amazing people, I am back again with yet another ridiculous problem that comes with having Dyslexia. This time is on mispronunciations. Dyslexics can mix up sounds in multi-syllabic words such as "pasghetti" for spaghetti, "aminal" for animal more so than the average child.  Yes I do know all children start out having issues pronouncing words, but having dyslexia creates a little bit more of struggle when it comes to this not only as a kid but yes as a 19 year old college student. 

Side Note: It probably didn't help that growing up my Italian grandma, who can barely speak english, would talk to me and I would think that is how words were pronounced.

It is all cute and innocent when a little kid asks for panacakes for breakfast but when a college student is waiting in line at the pancake bar and asks for 2 panacakes people question how I graduated 5th grade. Still to this day I cannot pronounce ambulance, so instead of sounding like an idiot, I'll beat around the bush and try every way possible not to let myself say ambliance.

For some reason I have the hardest time with pronouncing names of vehicles, like limousine always came out as "lemonzene" which I don't even understand how the word lemon got in there but hey thanks dyslexia for that one! Also the big SUV made by chevy called a Tahoe is probably the hardest word for me to say. I always get confused if it is called a Tahoe or a Toeha. Classic mixup I know.

Anyways, as you can see speaking is a little tough for me sometimes, but it makes for some great laughs! And that is Aly's eye view!

No comments:

Post a Comment