Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I Saw the Sign...or NOT


Yo peeps I am back! And I want to talk about signs! One of the issues with dyslexia is the speed that you read. Docs call it fluency (a little vocab lesson for you fab people out there...you're welcome). Anyway, to say I am a speedy reader...well you can't say that! In fact, when I was in 5th grade my teacher yelled at me because it took me too long to read a paragraph I was given- she ACTUALLY said "because Aly read so slow I don't have time to finish!"

SIDE NOTE: ( Yo Miss B*^% - her name actually started with a B! - you never give a dyslexic something to read out loud without advanced notice, you'll be there for HOURS! )

Anyway, this speed thing is a constant issue especially when it comes to signs! 
This one time when I was younger I was REALLY craving some ice cream.

SIDE NOTE: I am also lactose intolerant so ice cream isn't my best friend! Btw, I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to spell lactose intolerant...and you can laugh at me it's okay, trust me I did, because the way I spelt it before DOESN'T EVEN LOOK RIGHT and spell check couldn't even understand what I was trying to get at! Good thing "lactose and tolerant" doesn't make any damn sense, and I've also just learned I have been pronouncing it wrong my entire life...COOL! 

Back to the story about ice cream...I got into the car after school and asked my mom if she could take me to Cold Stones before practice, but she told me that there is no way she is driving that far out of the way just for ice cream (EXTREMELY rude, I know UGH). But I kept insisting that there was a Cold Stone right down the street (which there wasn't, SHOCKER), anyway my mom told me to point it out to her. So as we got to where I THOUGHT there was a Cold Stone, I pointed out the place saying "look mom I told you." She turned to me and says..."Alexandra that says, CD Warehouse." 


Let me just explain why I thought it said Cold Stones. We were driving 50 miles an hour and reading signs takes speed which I've already explained I don't have. The writing of Cold Stones is red and the writing of CD Warehouse was also red. Both words start with the letter "C". And if I'm being completely honest I decided NOT to read the entire word. As a result - my ice cream dreams melted! 


I think these frequent sign misreadings were really funny to my family because they seem to remember tons of times it has happened! Like the time we were driving past a building that had a sign on the top of it and I asked "why would they have showers in that building?" And NO surprise my mom turns to me and says, "Aly that said showroom!" Again - we.were.driving! I had to read quickly, I only got so far! Sue me
As you can see Aly's eye view isn't the clearest thing sometimes, but as I see it, my interpretations make my life very interesting. So I guess the key to life is like the key to reading signs with dyslexia, just slow down! And that's Aly's eye view!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you do remember me...I am horrified that I made you feel so uncomfortable, and I sincerely apologize for my lack of understanding and compassion. I left you a note on your other blog that I saw today, hope you will see that I have made some progress along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Bolinger- thanks so much for reading my blog and the nice comments! I think we have both grown and learned a lot since then! I think it's a silent struggle and thankfully more educators are aware of dyslexia and ADD/ADHD than before. I'm really happy you're looking to work with dyslexic kids and I know you will enjoy all the special gifts they will bring to your life! I hope you will continue to follow my blog! 
      #progress

      Delete