Monday, September 19, 2016

The History of Me and my BFF Dyslexia

Hey, so let me get the boring stuff out of the way before I can get into the good part of my life. My name is Aly, I am 19 years old, and I am dyslexic. But just because I'm dyslexic doesn't mean I want anyone who reads this to feel bad for me. 

Let me give you a little background information about me and my bff dyslexia. I was going into 3rd grade when I first found out I was dyslexic, and OHHH did I think it was the end of the world. When I got tested one of the accommodations I got for school was the honor of bringing my computer to school to take "notes" and all of the other REALLY HARD things 3rd graders have to do. Anyways, bringing my computer to school meant I was now one of those geeky kids who had a rolling backpack, LAME I KNOW. I started putting myself down and making fun of myself before others could. I got bullied a little here and there but as Kelly Clarkson says "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," and I guess she's kinda right because I'm still alive, well and here sharing my unfortunate life experiences with you. 

Side note: NO dyslexia is not when you read backwards, I clearly know you read from left to right. Also, these side notes might happen a lot because I also have ADD/ADHD, and that my friends is why I call myself the TRIPLE THREAT! 

Back to what I was saying, dyslexia was the end of the world for little 3rd grade me, I would cry every night and tell myself how stupid I was. But as I grew I kinda learned to use dyslexia as sort of a way to make light of every situation I am put into. For example, if I am giving someone directions and I tell them to go left and the directions clearly say to go right I will just say, "sorry I'm dyslexic." As I have grown up I have also realized that it's not someone with a weak bladder that spends the most time in a bathroom - it's a dyslexic; the reason I say that is because when I was younger and we would take turns reading out loud in class I would magically have to really use the bathroom when it came time for me to read and I would stay in there till I knew it was safe and my turn was over. I'd say dyslexia has made me pretty clever. 

But trust me...the stories and life as I see it only gets better from here! And that's Aly's eye view!


5 comments:

  1. LOL.. i love that I can hear your voice the whole time i'm reading this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Aly, I don't know if you remember me or not, from Fifth Grade! I love your post and you may find this interesting...I am now living in Asheville, NC, and trying to get a position at a school here that has a program that works strictly with dyslexic children (many of whom also have ADD/ADHD), from 2nd-8th grades. I am hoping to go through their Orton-Gillingham training program next summer. Hope you are well, you are an impressive young woman!

    ReplyDelete